Sunday 16 September 2012

Another week, Another Build

SO after the lab got cleaned up, I attempted to build my packages, gzip and inetutils. I began by creating my rpm build tree, and made sure sure all dev tools were installed.

Gzip

My first attempt at building gzip came out with this response:
gzip initial build errors

Upon a quick google query on this error, i realized i left the %files section of the .spec file empty. i attempted to just dump the file listing above, into the spec file and added one extra line under the %files line:
%defattr(-,root,root,-)
After adding the files under the %files section, I remembered the macro'a, and made sure to use them where applicable.
The final gzip spec file looked like this.  gzip.spec
rpmlint outputs:  gzip-1.5-1.fc17.x86_64.rpm gzip-1.5-1.fc17.src.rpm gzip.spec
File uploads: gzip-1.5-1.fc17.x86_64.rpm gzip-1.5-1.fc17.src.rpm gzip.spec

inetutils

This time I had more of a sense of what i was doing and ran into no build errors this time. I made sure the %files and %info section were properly filled out this time and used more macros then the previous gzip build i did. 

I did receive a bunch of errror and warnings here, but I will be addressing them later this evening or tomorrow morning. 

My final spec file for inetutils at the moment looks like this : inetutils.spec


I hope to practice building packages and making spec files more this coming week, I feel it is terribly important to master this!


No comments:

Post a Comment