Tuesday 11 September 2012

First week into play!

So I am a week into the course, and got Fedora 17 installed, and figured I would post some Applications that I have been using to make my linux experience smooth and fun.

  • Terminator - A great terminal and efficient workplace, that allows you to slice up your teriminal horizontally or vertically to more screens!
  • Konversation - A feature rich IRC client. Don't forget to automate the msg nickserv to identify yourself!
  • GNOME-Tweak-Tool - This tool adds an advanced options in your application menu. It gives you Desktop, Shell, Window and more customizations for your fedora system.
  • I would be adding blogilo to this list, but found it far too buggy to reccomend, and THIS is a rewritten blogpost because blogilo ate up the previous one i wrote -_-;;;;;
 Other applications I included in my setup are, Skype, SoulSeek, GIMP, and youtube-dl. Soulseek is a p2p sharing application mostly for music, gimp for editing images quickly for posts, Skype for communication, and youtube-dl because I prefer saving videos in HD format to watch later on my television.

Upon using my machine for a couple days, I found out from a source on fedora IRC that Google has newly redesigned their repo setup apparently and everytime i attempted to call yum, i would get the following error:

#Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit, tidy-cache
#http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: 
[Errno 14] HTTP  Error 404 - Not Found : http://dl.google.com/linux/ 
rpm/stable/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
#Trying other mirror.
#Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from Google: [Errno 256] No more 
 mirrors to try.
I found a temporary work around for this problem, but would like to get the machine working back without the additional command. To get by this error if one runs into it, just disable the repo thats currently giving you trouble. For instance Google is giving me an error right now, so to get by i run the following with my yum command:
yum [option] --disablerepo=Google[or other problematic repo] [package name]
 My final note is how to Install Flash on your Fedora 17 Machine. People have been asking me, and I constantly have to remind myself, so I will add it below for any heads curious or need a quick reminder!

  rpm -ivh http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-x86_64-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
   rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux
 yum check-update
    yum install flash-plugin nspluginwrapper als-plugins-pulseaudio libcurl
    yum install flash-plugin nspluginwrapper alsa-plugins-pulseaudio libcurl

No comments:

Post a Comment